Thursday, December 1, 2011

Starting my "blog"

Today I started my blog.  But of course, this is what the title is called.  I am doing this to increase brain injury awareness and for my own rehabilitation.  I struggle on a daily basis with word and sentence structure.  This is most prominent when I am fatigued or going through the "brain shut down" phase.  The shut down phase can happen frequently throughout the day- it mostly depends on sleep factors, stress, visual and audio stimulus just to name a few. 
Other symptoms associated with my brain injury are - short term memory loss, retrieval of information, vertigo, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), extreme fatigue, deficiencies in executive function and other things that I can't remember at this moment- it's a retrieval thing- :-)
I had a very emotional day - so this too, has also prompted me to start a blog as a way of communicating my experiences and emotions as I go through this "journey" of my brain injury survival.  I will add this- the individuals that I have met along the way with brain injuries are extremely brave and strong- and I want to thank those that share their life's experiences with me and this blog. My favorite quote is "If you aim at nothing, you will get nothing".  Well, my goals include identifying my deficencies and compensate for them.  I will never be the person I once was, but I plan on having a higher level of functioning in the future- so may this journey begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment